Friday, December 23, 2005

Refreshingly honest tech support

This amused me. I tried to access gmail, and got this message instead:
Gmail is temporarily unavailable. Cross your fingers and try again in a few minutes.
That kind of honesty is refreshing. No gobbledygook technical jargon, and no offer to send a message to gmail to alert them to the problem.

All that stuff is just smoke & mirrors, in my opinion. It's like the "door close" button in an elevator — there aren't any wires attached to it; it's there only for the placebo effect.

"Cross your fingers." There's an instruction I understand.

And it worked! I can access my inbox! How 'bout that.

6 Comments:

At 4:21 PM, December 23, 2005, Blogger 49erDweet said...

Yes, Gmail support staff truly take a low-tech and non-geek speak approach to working with their clients. What a refreshing attitude!

(I wonder what they're up to)?

 
At 4:21 PM, December 23, 2005, Blogger Janet said...

I also like google's "I feel lucky" search button. Yes, they've got a good sense of humor, those Google folks.

 
At 9:32 AM, December 24, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

Is the door close button on the elevator true?

Oh my.

Thats...

wow.

 
At 12:05 PM, December 24, 2005, Blogger stc said...

Heather:
I don't have any inside information about door close buttons on elevators. It's just that I ride an elevator to the 21st floor several times a day at my workplace. It seems to me that the door takes exactly the same amount of time to close whether you push the door close button or not.

And then I noticed that it was probably true of a lot of other elevators, too: you push the button, you wait a noticable interval, then the door closes.

But maybe I'm just being cynical. Which isn't a good attitude during Christmas — mea culpa.
Q

 
At 3:24 PM, December 24, 2005, Blogger Juggling Mother said...

Just popped in to wish you a happy and peaceful Christmas. I hope it's a good one.

 
At 3:41 PM, December 24, 2005, Blogger stc said...

Thanks, Mrs. Aginoth. Merry Christmas to you and Mr. A., too.
Q

 

Post a Comment

<< Home